Meet the Dubbelju Team
- “There is no bike too small to have fun on.”
- I started Dubbelju motorcycle rentals 20 years ago because I was unable to find a motorcycle to rent when I arrived from my native Germany to ride the west coast of America. I currently ride a BMW R1200GS and Yamaha XT 500, and can usually be found riding a bike, wrenching on a bike, or sharing my experiences from 40 years of riding with others.
- “I share roots with Wolfgang, being native German. I came to California 13 years ago and made it my home.”
- I was always taken by the beauty of motorcycles glistening in the Californian sun - riding down Highway 1, watching pelican's dive or into the back country where the big trees grow. I'm sure you will find your favorite spot. I love working for Dubbelju as a bookkeeper, a business that has integrity and is passionate about it's product, with people who know what they are talking about from first hand experience. Stop by and share your story!
- “On the road again…”
- Although I work at Dubbelju as a business advisor In San Francisco, I live on arguably the best motorcycling road in the world – Highway 1 at Big Sur, which means a long, but breathtaking commute. I do this drive mostly on four wheels, but often on the back of my husband's Harley Electra Glide – giving me a different perspective of motorcycle riding, just like I bring to the business.
- “A classic bike, a glass of wine, good family and friends around me – what more could I ask for?”
- I joined Dubbelju as partner and investor in 1999 after exploring California on one of Dubbelju's rental bikes. I particularly love classic bikes, and for many years have been involved in the European Rider Rights organization, FEMA. I travel to sunny California from my home in Germany to ride whenever I can.
Dubbelju in the News
- Hotel California - Kiwi Rider
- 7 Days in California - Bike
- Ladakh Tour 2013
- Mit der Harley durch Kalifornien und Oregon - VINUM
- Ride Guide - Australian Road Rider
- The Greatful Tread - Mercury Weekender
- Traum zwischen Pazifik und Wüste - Tourenfahrer
- USA: Nord-Kalifornien - Reise Motorrad
- Wild wild West - Oldtimer Markt
- Hogs and Triumphs in SOMA - Urban Daddy
California is a destination for motorcyclists from around the world — and Dubbelju is at the heart of it all.
The Dubbelju Name
Pronounced "Double-you, is a reminder of the difference between the German and English way of saying "W", something that Wolfgang smiles about often.
Almost anyone can rent you a motorcycle and hand you a map. We as one of the pioneers in the U.S. motorcycle rental industry have the experience and knowledge to maximize the value of your vacation-time. As motorcyclists ourselves, we know your needs, we know the area, and we have ridden the roads we recommend. We'll get you rolling in the right direction and make sure that you return home with only the best of memories.
To provide our customers with a shop big enough to fulfill all the necessary services, yet small enough to offer a warm, friendly, family-like atmosphere and to use our enthusiasm and understanding as riders to provide you with an unexpected level of quality service, allowing us to cater to your needs.
In the late 80’s I arrived in California and wanted to rent a motorcycle for a trip on Highway 1, along the famous west coast of America. It was almost impossible because I could not find a motorcycle rental shop! I fell in love with the country and the people and wanted to save others the frustration I was going through; thus the idea of renting out motorcycles was born. A few years later I came back to San Francisco and opened Dubbelju. My first customer crossed the Golden Gate Bridge on a Harley Davidson in the summer of 1991.
Through the shared desires of both, American and International motorcyclists, to rent and ride Dubbelju grew steadily. With this came the need for expansion. My friend Christof Hillebrand, already a loyal customer since 1993 joined Dubbelju as a partner and investor in 1999. He brought with him his experience of owning and running an international business. Like me, Christof is passionate about motorcycles and riding and was involved in the European motorcycle community on many different levels. He was an active member of the European Riders Rights organization FEMA and as a freelance journalist he has written articles for German motorcycle magazines. He also loves to wrench and ride classic bikes.
We are both motorcyclists with heart and soul. We love bikes, roads and adventures, both discovering the new and rediscovering the old. The passion for riding and sharing our adventures with our customers is a big part of our lives and also helps make Dubbelju unique. We hope our enthusiasm and understanding as riders together with our team at Dubbelju providing a high level of personal service will have you return home with only the best of motorcycling memories.
Christof and I are grateful to our loyal clients, suppliers and employees for their support, which has made our dream and vision of Dubbelju possible.
Wolfgang and Christof