Meet the Dubbelju Team
- “There is no bike too small to have fun on.”
- I started Dubbelju motorcycle rentals in 1991 because I was unable to find a motorcycle to rent when I arrived from my native Germany to ride the west coast of America. I currently ride a BMW R1200GS, BMW 1981 R80GS and a Yamaha XT 500, and can usually be found riding a bike, wrenching on a bike, or sharing my experiences from 50 years of riding with others. — Wolfgang
- “For a short getaway, I like to ride through a forest of redwood trees tucked away in the Santa Cruz mountains on Skyline Boulevard.”
- Unique to motorcycle riding is the feeling that you get as you move through different environments. It could be embracing the ocean breeze along the coastline, sensing the forest with the scent of redwoods or even just the feeling of leaving the city behind - this is what I truly love about motorcycle riding. — April
- “The best bike is the one you're riding.”
- I have been happily working on bikes for about 15 years, but I have been a chronic fixer since I was a little girl. I'm growing fond and somewhat protective of the rental fleet and I was surprised to learn that the BMW 1200RT is the futuristic starship I never knew I always wanted. — Lucy
- “A classic bike, a glass of wine, good family and friends around me – what more could I ask for?”
- I joined Dubbelju as partner and investor in 1999 after exploring California on one of Dubbelju's rental bikes. I particularly love classic bikes, and for many years have been involved in the European Rider Rights organization, FEMA. I travel to sunny California from my home in Germany to ride whenever I can. — Christof
Dubbelju in the News
- Hotel California - Kiwi Rider
- 7 Days in California - Bike
- Greatful Tread - Mercury Weekender
- Ladakh Tour 2013
- Mit der Harley durch Kalifornien und Oregon - VINUM
- Ride Guide - Australian Road Rider
- Traum zwischen Pazifik und Wüste - Tourenfahrer
- USA: Nord-Kalifornien - Reise Motorrad
- Wild wild West - Oldtimer Markt
- Hogs and Triumphs in SOMA - Urban Daddy
California is a destination for motorcyclists from around the world — and Dubbelju is at the heart of it all.
The Dubbelju Name
Pronounced "Double-you," our name is a reminder of the difference between the German and English way of saying "W", something that Wolfgang smiles about often.
Almost anyone can rent you a motorcycle and hand you a map. As one of the pioneers in the U.S. motorcycle rental industry, we have the depth of experience and knowledge to maximize the value of your vacation time. As motorcyclists ourselves, we know your needs, we know the area well, and we have ridden the roads we recommend. We'll get you rolling in the right direction and make sure that you return home with only the best of memories.
To provide our customers with a shop big enough to fulfill all the necessary services, yet small enough to offer a warm, friendly, family-like atmosphere, and to use our enthusiasm and understanding as riders to provide you with an unexpected level of quality service, allowing us to fulfill your needs.
In the late 80's I arrived in California and wanted to rent a motorcycle for a ride on Highway 1, along the famous west coast of America. It was almost impossible, because I could not find a motorcycle rental shop! I fell in love with the country and the people, and wanted to save others the frustration I was going through; thus the idea of renting out motorcycles was born. A few years later, I came back to San Francisco and opened Dubbelju. My first customer crossed the Golden Gate Bridge on a Harley Davidson in the summer of 1991.
Dubbelju grew steadily because of the shared desire of both American and international motorcyclists to rent and ride. With this came the need for expansion. My friend Christof Hillebrand, already a loyal customer since 1993, joined Dubbelju as a partner and investor in 1999. He brought with him his experience of owning and running an international business. Like me, Christof is passionate about motorcycles and riding and was involved in the European motorcycle community on many different levels. He was an active member of the European Riders Rights organization FEMA, and as a freelance moto journalist he wrote articles for German motorcycle magazines. He also loves to wrench and ride classic bikes.
We are both motorcyclists with heart and soul. We love bikes, roads and adventures, both discovering the new and rediscovering the old. The passion for riding and sharing our adventures with our customers is a big part of our lives, and also helps make Dubbelju unique. We hope our enthusiasm and understanding as riders, together with our team at Dubbelju provides a high level of personal service, and will have you returning home with lifelong motorcycling memories.
Christof and I are grateful to our loyal clients, suppliers and employees for their support, which has made our dream and vision of Dubbelju possible.